Travel documents

All citizens need a valid travel document. A travel document is a valid, recognised document that allows the holder to enter and leave Portugal. The validity of the travel document should always be for at least 3 months longer than the duration of the planned stay.

Citizens of the 27 member States of the European Union (EU) or of the European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA) may enter or leave the Portuguese territory presenting a valid identity card or passport. No visa or equivalent formality is required.

A visa is an authorisation issued by a Portuguese Embassy or Consulate abroad and is used to enter Portugal. In the case of Schengen visas, these can be issued by Portugal or by another state that is part of the Schengen Agreement, but they are only for short stays, approved in several Schengen states, and they may not exceed 3 months.

All citizens from Non-European Union countries and EFTA need a visa. Therefore, to legally enter and study in Portugal they must apply for a student visa at the Portuguese Embassy or Consulate in the country of origin or of residence.

For information about the nearest Portuguese Embassy and Consulate please consult Database of embassies and consulates

For the student visa application at the Portuguese Embassy or Consulate and for more information on documents needed please contact the nearest Portuguese Consulate.

For more information see Serviços de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras

Although Portugal is a member country of the Schengen Treaty it is important to remember that a student visa obtained for one EU country is not transferable to another EU country. In case of joint degrees, in which students have to move countries, a new application for a student visa for the new country has to start again.

Foreigners admitted to the country for study purposes are not authorised to work. However, after having authorization for residence and to the extent that it does not interfere with their studies, they may work by previously applying for the corresponding permit at the Immigration Services (SEF).

Useful links

Foreign Embassies and Consulates in Portugal

Embassies in the world

Immigration Services


Share Partilhar