The language of instruction of all undergraduate/bachelor programmes (1st cycle) is Portuguese. English is only used in some Master and Doctorate programmes as the main language of instruction. However, most academic staff speaks English, and some speaks also other languages, mostly Spanish and French, which help with tutoring classes.
For a programme fully instructed in English proficiency in the English language is required for admission. Therefore, the standard level required of English is the following, depending on the type of tests:
- For the Common European Framework (CEFR) the minimum level is C1;
- For the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) the minimum scores are 550 for paper-based test, 213 for computer-based test, and 80for Internet-based test;
- For the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) the minimum score is 6.0;
- For the Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) the minimum grade is C.
number of Portuguese language courses at various levels, which students are strongly advised to enrol.
- Portuguese as a Foreign Language – 3 ECTS course, each semester. Aims to all foreign students attending the University and wish to improve their knowledge of the language.
- Portuguese ERASMUS Intensive Language Course (EILC) – 5 ECTS course, usually during July/August or January.
Note: Fees are sometimes charged to some Portuguese language courses.