Legal Procedures

Non-eu students – Residence Permit

Non-EU students should go as soon as possible to the Immigration Service (SEF – Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras) to get a Residence Permit.

Once arrived in Portugal, non-EU citizen students need first to make an appointment by contacting the SEF Call Centre.  Our International and Mobility Office can help you set this up. You will then be given a date and time to meet in person with an official.

Important information about visa and resident permit from Immigration Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras - SEF)

SEF Call Centre

- If you are calling from a land line, please dial: 808 202 653;
- If you are calling from a mobile phone, please dial: 808 962 690.

Loja do Cidadão de Faro
SEF – Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras
Mercado Municipal
Largo Dr. Francisco Sá Carneiro        
8000-151 FARO

Working hours: Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 17:30.

eu students – Registration

All EU students and staff staying longer than 3 months in Portugal should register at the Câmara Municipal (Municipality) of the area of residence.

Students who wish to bring their own car should check the necessary procedures at the Customs.

Money and Bank accounts

Portugal is one of the seventeen EU member states that have adopted the euro (€) as their common currency since the year 2000.

In case you need to open a bank account in Portugal, you should bring a certificate of home address in your country duly certified by a Portuguese Consulate or Embassy.

To open a bank account in Portugal you are usually required to deliver the following documents:

- Bank application forms;
- Certificate of home address in your country (certified by a Portuguese Consulate or Embassy);
- Valid passport and/or residence card issued from SEF:
- Portuguese fiscal number;
- Signed scholarship contract from the University (if applicable).

Registering at a Health Centre
(For Brazilian citizens with PB4 form and Researchers)

All citizens in Portugal are entitled to receive global health care. The public health system is under the supervision of the National Health Service (Serviço Nacional de Saúde – SNS), which is under of the auspices of the Ministry of Health.

Foreign citizens residing legally in Portugal (having a residence permit) are entitled to health services and prescriptions. For that they have to obtain a National Health Service card (Cartão de Utente). To obtain this card you will need to register at the Health Centre closest to your area of residence.

Brazilian students should bring a PB4 form and must formally register at a Health Centre in Faro. If holder of a private insurance this requirement is not necessary.

Researchers with a contract with the University of Algarve should also register at the Health Centre of the area of residence.

See more at:  

Share Partilhar