Bioengineering combines biology, biotechnology and engineering. This unique and interdisciplinary field covers a wide range of themes, where deep knowledge of engineering enables solving clinical and biologic technological challenges.
Bioengineering is an area of increasing demand. Aiming to empower students on a wide variety of professional fields, the course structure enables students developing their internship either on a company or integrating a research team.
The study program has the duration of 3 years corresponding to 180 ECTS.
The main objective is to prepare professionals with technical and scientific knowledge and skills to solve multidisciplinary bioengineering problems. For this purpose, it is intended:
- To provide solid knowledge in the basic areas of bioengineering: mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology and basic health concepts;
- To provide knowledge and experimentation in biomedical and biological engineering, through updated interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches;
- To enable graduates to autonomously solve problems of design, planning, management and execution in the various aspects of Bioengineering.
Ability to develop solutions for bioengineering problems in a systematic way, with capacity for computational implementation and analysis of results in the light of according to engineering principles and practices. Specifically:
- Ability to interpret and analyze bioprocesses and biological reactor;
- Ability to model bioprocesses and implement technological strategies that translate into the promotion of sustainable development;
- Capacity of identification and characterization of materials and instruments applied in biomedical engineering;
- Knowledge of biomaterials used in the development of medical support and rehabilitation technologies;
- Competence to implement computer programs and basic electronic systems applicable in bioengineering;
- Knowledge of methodologies for analysis, processing and classification of biological signals.
The University of Algarve is aware of the growing need for bioengineers both nationally and internationally, together with the insufficiency of places in higher education institutions in the north and center of Portugal to satisfy the high number of candidates for this type of engineering and related technologies. The University thus decided to increase the capacity of higher education in Portugal and, consequently, of the economy, creating the degree in Bioengineering in 2019.